Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Please join us at Emmanuel the third and fifth Sundays of the month at 10:00 a.m. for a service of Holy Eucharist.
Emmanuel, located at old Port Conway, where U. S. Route 301 crosses the Rappahannock River, is the newest Episcopal Church in King George. After the building of St. John’s, a movement began in 1856 to erect a church in the Port Conway area. The area was well populated, having been the original center of activity in the County. Construction of Emmanuel was under way in 1859, and the church was consecrated in 1860. Shortly thereafter, Emmanuel was damaged by federal soldiers. Friends of the Episcopal Church in the North raised money for war-damaged churches in the South, and Emmanuel was restored using those funds.
Old Emmanuel Pictures
These were supplied by Sean Gates, author of The Dark and Lonely Road. He found these while doing research for one of his books. He states that they are from 1906 and mostly likely with Captain John F. Jack.